Caribbean North includes The Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos, U.S. and British Virgin Islands.
Since the geography of our region itself is daunting and the cultures so diverse, we need to enlist your support. Each of you is a leader with invaluable experience and resources in your own island/country. Please let us know if you are able and willing to contribute and in what capacity. Your ideas, suggestions and feedback are welcome.
1. To draw out and encourage our Caribbean-specific talent.
2. To expand awareness of SCBWI among new and established writers/illustrators — and in the broader communities
3. To attract and actively solicit Caribbean writers who are already published in the field; with the intention of unifying a vital resource in the region for networking, mentoring, sharing knowledge and encouragement.
4. To create opportunities to collectively present our region (mostly thought of as the Third World) as a resource to publishers for first class, international talent. (Naipaul and Walcott, both Nobel Laureates hail from our region).
5. To attract SCBWI members to our idyllic islands for retreats and conferences which may appeal to SCBWI members from all over the world because of our Caribbean landscape and culture. This may include exchange programmes.
6. To develop a resource and support system for all writers, including those who are not familiar with the publishing world
7. To coach new and aspiring writers
8. To set up funds/grants/awards specifically for Caribbean writers and artists in this field.
We look forward to hearing from you. There is much we can do together that each of us cannot do alone!